[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: imp compose.php message.php imp/lib/Identity imp.php

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 25 09:10:12 PDT 2003

> Not exactly, because I don't want to catch messages "from" that address but
> indeed "to" this address (substring). No message to the IMP mailinglist
> will have imp at lists.horde.org in the From: field but in the To: or Cc:
> field.
>
> The idea is that I want to reply to all mail that is sent to a
> @lists.horde.org mail with my Horde identity even if it is not send to the
> from address of my Horde identity.

That makes perfect sense.  But it still should use another label (like
affinity) rather than alias.  Alias is well entrenched in e-mail literature
as a delivery address, not a To: address.

> I allowed substring matching just because of the mailing list scenario where
> you are subscribed to many lists with the same identity. The same goes for
> example for several distribution lists or aliases in my company. I know
> that I want to reply each message that is sent to @ammma.de address if it
> reaches me, with my AMMMA identity.

I agree it is useful.  I also think a wildcard rather than substring (or in
addition to substring) would be even better.

> Though if we disallow substring matching, this would of course fix the
> problem but make it a bit more uncomfortable because you have to enter each
> mail address where messages sent to belong to your identity.

The problem with strict matching is the list of addresses grow.  The problem
with substrings/wildcards is sometimes the include more than was desired...
Trade-off either way.

> I'm not sure what the more common scenario is (reply to all or reply to with
> substrings) and what would be more uncomfortable for the user (manually
> removing addresses while replying to all or manually entering each exact
> mail alias), so:

Both.  Maybe we need both an alias and "affinity" type field?

> The Discussion is Opened! :-)

Yeah! :)

--
Eric Rostetter