[dev] IMP login template...

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Fri Jul 25 11:51:16 PDT 2003

Quoting Nuno Loureiro <nuno at co.sapo.pt>:

| Here's the first patch for converting IMP to Horde Templates...
| Attached is the diff against HEAD and the new file
| (imp/templates/login/login.html).
|
| I did some tests with ab with and without Horde Templates, and concluded
| the overhead of using Horde Templates is about 15% (on this specific
| page).

Hmmmm... personally, I am not sure if this is worth all the changes,
especially not for a 15% speed _decrease_.  That's pretty substantial in my
book.  Not to mention that I (personally) don't think it makes the code any
clearer, and login.inc is a pretty simple script compared to other stuff (I
really don't want to see what compose.php/message.php/mailbox.php are going
to look like - in all likelihood, they would experience a greater than 15%
slowdown as they are so complex).

Horde_Template looks very useful for a beginning application, or an
application that does not require much input.  There I could see the
benefits of using it outweighing the burdens.  But in a very stable,
complex application like IMP the benefits obtained seem to be far
outweighed by the problems of complexity, seriously tinkering with stable
code and thus potentially breaking something, and a substantial performance
decrease (I've been trying for the last year to _gain_ 15% extra speed from
IMP/Horde :) )

So that's an emphatic '-1' vote for me.  Let's see what the others think...

michael