[dev] IMP login template...

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 25 12:48:29 PDT 2003

> | Here's the first patch for converting IMP to Horde Templates...

Can you provide any screen-shots for what the pages look like now with
Horde Templates?  I'd like to see what we are getting for the 15% speed
loss, as I'm sure others do, and I don't have time right now to apply
the patches to a test area.  So screenshots would be a help.

> Horde_Template looks very useful for a beginning application, or an
> application that does not require much input.  There I could see the
> benefits of using it outweighing the burdens.  But in a very stable,
> complex application like IMP the benefits obtained seem to be far
> outweighed by the problems of complexity, seriously tinkering with stable
> code and thus potentially breaking something, and a substantial performance
> decrease (I've been trying for the last year to _gain_ 15% extra speed from
> IMP/Horde :) )

I would think there are probably places in IMP where it might be useful,
and others where it might not be useful.  Some forms in IMP are simple
and others complex...

> So that's an emphatic '-1' vote for me.  Let's see what the others think...

No vote until I either install the patches or see some screen shots.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!