[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: imp compose.php message.php imp/lib/Identity imp.php

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Fri Jul 25 11:58:22 PDT 2003

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

| > I'm not sure what the more common scenario is (reply to all or reply to
| with
| > substrings) and what would be more uncomfortable for the user (manually
| > removing addresses while replying to all or manually entering each
| exact
| > mail alias), so:
|
| Both.  Maybe we need both an alias and "affinity" type field?

Maybe I didn't make this clear in my original e-mail, but this is what I
proposed.

The functionality we are trying to obtain seems to be as follows.
Me (w/"aliases"):
=================
* Use to prune self-addresses when replying to all
* Used to determine if a message is "personal" in the mailbox/message
screen.  VERY, VERY handy when I only have a limited time to look at my
INBOX - helps me to identify what messages are most important to look at.
Before, this wasn't catching messages sent directly to me, just not to my
final e-mail address.  The new code does this now.
* Identify messages sent from yourself so that, in the mailbox page, we show
the 'To:' address instead of my personal identity in the From field.

Jan (w/"affinity aliases"):
* Used to determine which identity to use when replying to message.

It seems like these are mutually exclusive goals, and that we need a
different preference storage for each one (i.e. I may have 2 addresses that
are aliases of mine, but I want to reply with a different identity
depending on which one it is).

michael