[dev] weather in jonah, and licensing questions

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Thu Jul 31 06:17:21 PDT 2003

Hi everybody!

In my quest for a replacement for interceptvector (metar doesn't provide an
extended forecast), I found an application posted to a public forum. The app
includes comma delimited files intended for a database with geographic location
information and a php file to get weather information from MSNBC and render
output in HTML (with graphics). All of these files were posted in a zip file to
the public forum, with the subject "Weather Database for everyone..."; there is
no licensing information.

I'd like to modify the app to work under jonah. I posted to the forum asking the
poster about licensing, and if I don't see a reply soon I'll email directly.
However, I've never dealt with the issue of modifying someone else's code for
my own use (other than the patches to horde that I post from time to time) and
would like to know what kinds of things I need to sort out to stay "legal".

If anyone can offer advice (on the licensing concerns), I'd greatly appreciate
it.

Additionally, my PHP skills and current understanding of horde are very limited,
so it will take me a while to complete this (if I can finish it at all); if
anyone would like to tackle this to get it done faster and cleaner, let me know
and I'll send or post the zip file with the original app.

Thanks in advance,
Rick