[dev] weather in jonah, and licensing questions

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Jul 31 09:28:07 PDT 2003

Quoting Rick Emery <rick at emery.homelinux.net>:

> I'd like to modify the app to work under jonah. I posted to the forum asking
> the poster about licensing, and if I don't see a reply soon I'll email
> directly. However, I've never dealt with the issue of modifying someone else's
> code for my own use (other than the patches to horde that I post from time to
> time) and would like to know what kinds of things I need to sort out to stay
> "legal".

Well, if the poster doesn't respond to you, and there's no license information,
I'm not sure what would be wrong with using it. You could include a "adapted
from code by <poster>" or include the original poster in the @author list, etc.
If they tell you something, though, go with whatever they say. But it sounds
like they were putting it into the public domain.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
They're just looking at a wall of meat.