[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: imp message.php

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Aug 1 15:07:15 PDT 2003

Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> | jan         2003/08/01 14:45:10 PDT
> |
> |   Modified files:
> |     .                    message.php
> |   Log:
> |   Why does the user has to be in the To: header for a message to be
> | personal.
> |   My understanding of personal messages are all that are not send to a
> | mailing list or similar.
>
> Because, the general e-mail etiquette is that you send a message to the
> person in the To: field, and the Cc: field is for people to receive
> copies
> although they may not be addresses in the email at all.  I realize there
> is
> no such thing as as an established "e-mail etiquette", but this one seems
> to be pretty standard.
>
> This change makes the 'personal' marking pretty much worthless for me.  I
> receive all sorts of mail (e.g. from co-workers) that I am Cc'd in
> because
> I am involved in the project, meeting, etc.  But this is not "personal
> mail".  These are _exactly_ the kind of messages that the personal flag
> is
> handy for - namely identifying mail where you may recognize the sender,
> but
> since the mail is not directly addressed to you it likely is not as
> urgent
> to read as other messages.

This implies that the senders know exactly what to use the To: and what to
use the Cc: header from, where my correspondents seem to to be that sure
about. :-)

I changed this because the tied-to-addresses (thanks btw for that!) didn't
match the identities if a tied-to-address was in another header than To:.
And that didn't make sense to me because we try as hard as we can to find a
matching address but were then leaving out all the other address headers.

Jan.