[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: imp message.php

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Fri Aug 1 14:57:57 PDT 2003

| jan         2003/08/01 14:45:10 PDT
|
|   Modified files:
|     .                    message.php
|   Log:
|   Why does the user has to be in the To: header for a message to be
| personal.
|   My understanding of personal messages are all that are not send to a
| mailing list or similar.

Because, the general e-mail etiquette is that you send a message to the
person in the To: field, and the Cc: field is for people to receive copies
although they may not be addresses in the email at all.  I realize there is
no such thing as as an established "e-mail etiquette", but this one seems
to be pretty standard.

This change makes the 'personal' marking pretty much worthless for me.  I
receive all sorts of mail (e.g. from co-workers) that I am Cc'd in because
I am involved in the project, meeting, etc.  But this is not "personal
mail".  These are _exactly_ the kind of messages that the personal flag is
handy for - namely identifying mail where you may recognize the sender, but
since the mail is not directly addressed to you it likely is not as urgent
to read as other messages.

michael