[dev] Decupling Folders from Contents..

Robert Ribnitz ribnitz at linuxbourg.ch
Tue Aug 26 09:53:29 PDT 2003

Hello,

I briefly discussed this on irc, but here's the full idea:

ATM, Trean gives a folder structure that allows to store bookmarks. My idea
(which I'll reallise anyway cause I have to for a project of mine):

Decuple the folder-structure from the content you store. That way you could
group together things that belong together:

- notes for a certain project
- addresses of contact persons
- weblinks
- ...

however, you'd only store link to the data, and have the different apps interact
with handlers.

Also to consider:

- Different trees with different privs (per folder, per object). Eg. everyone
may list, but only a certain group may add/modify/delete

- The same object can be referenced multiple timers, but we still only want one
instance of it (possible problem with security..)

- The folder hierarchy itself should be multilingual, ie. allow the addition of
a new name (without modifying anything else..), and allow cross-referencing
(much the same way the horde Category driver does)

Oh, well, just at the idea stadium..

Robert