[dev] interesting article on templates

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Sep 16 02:10:23 PDT 2003

> > > http://www.massassi.com/php/articles/template_engines/
> >
> > Good point. And nice to see that his template files almost look like
> Horde
> > code. ;-)
>
> True. :)
>
> I think this reinforces my feeling on Horde_Template, though. It's
> essential for
> things like Giapeto and other places where we don't want to allow
> execution of
> PHP code in layout that's (well, eventually <g>) user-defined through the
> web

Agreed.

> UI. It's great for things like reports. But it's not something that we
> want to
> build heavy applications on.

Agreed too.

> We do want to be able to have things like Horde_Mobile, though, and to be
> able
> to easily change the UI of an application like IMP. I just don't think
> Horde_Template is the way to do it, though.

I'm a bit torn on this. But whatever we decide, if e.g. Nuno's work would
lead to "templates" (as they are now: php code) that are clean enough by
the means of freed from buisiness logic, we would make a great leap
forward.

And these templates could then even easily and safely be edited by
designers. These are actually the people we (and especially Nuno) are
targeting with the template efforts, not end users.

Jan.