[dev] Moving towards packages and Horde 3

Jon Parise jon at horde.org
Thu Sep 18 15:59:47 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 06:41:07PM -0400, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> > That sounds good.  It might be nice to allow HORDE_LIBS to be set via
> > an environmental variable, as well.
>
> Yeah, I wasn't sure on the security implications/etc. of this. If people think
> it's a good idea, I'll definitely add it to core.php (and probably to app
> base.php files for the HORDE_BASE definition).

On second though, the people who would be benefitted by environmental
variables could just do something like this in an auto_prepend'ed
file:

    define('HORDE_LIBS', getenv('HORDE_LIBS'));
    define('HORDE_BASE', getenv('HORDE_BASE'));

I don't think we need to provide that functionality ourselves when
it's so simple for users to set up on their own.

> > The PEAR installer now has the capability to perform automake-style
> > @token@ expansion in source files.  It would be trivial to get a
> > package.xml file to expand @HORDE_LIBS@ to the appropriate path at
> > install-time.
>
> Neat, but the assumption was going to be that we'd set HORDE_LIBS to '' (empty)
> for installs using PEAR, so they looked in the standard PEAR include path.
> Other values would be for when you weren't installing with PEAR, so...

I follow you now.  Your approach sounds good.

> > Please elaborate.  Will 'framework' be a top-level module in the CVS
> > sense?
>
> Yes, like the 'pear' module in PHP CVS. Basically, it doesn't make sense to
> continue to develop our packaged libraries inside horde/lib/, if we really want
> to go that way.

Sounds good.

> > It would be nice to document the new organization scheme on the web
> > site once it's adopted.  That will make it conceptually easier for
> > users to understand the system's layout.
>
> Definitely. There's a lot that that can be said for, unfortunately...

Gotta start somewhere!

--
Jon Parise (jon at horde.org) :: The Horde Project (http://horde.org/)