[dev] Skeleton Module License

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Oct 23 01:07:50 PDT 2003

> Quoting Wil Van Cleve <vancleve at uchicago.edu>:
>
> > Am considering development of a medical note taking module for Horde,
> > but want to be hold off on deciding about licensing issues until I've
> > decided how best to release what I write.
> >
> > The Horde Framework's license (LGPL) is great for me because of my need
> > to take some time to think out these issues.
> >
> > The skeleton module's LICENSE file seems to indicate that the skeleton
> > module code is LGPL in nature. The COPYING file is the GPL.
> >
> > Can someone provide some guidance to me here? If I develop code and use
> > the skeleton as my template, am I tied to the GPL?
>
> To be honest, I've never thought about a license with respect to skeleton
> before. It's kind of a curious question. :)
>
> I'm mostly inclined to say that it's an example, a template, etc. (thus
> the two
> licenses, examples of the different ones we use) - do what you want with
> it.
> There's somewhat more useful code in there now than there used to be,
> with the
> driver example, but still.
>
> I'm open to other views. Jan, I think you added the driver examples, what
> do you
> think?

That was exactly my intention: having the two licenses we currently use in
*our* modules at hand so that you can delete the other if you decided for
one of those.
Of course you are free to choose *any* license you want for a new module, as
long as it doesn't collide with Horde's LGPL. I see the skeleton module not
being under any certain license.

Jan.