[dev] Gollem - Preferences for multiple files upload

Ron Cooper rcooper at jamesconeyisland.com
Thu Nov 20 12:15:33 PST 2003

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

| Quoting Joel Vandal <jvandal at infoteck.qc.ca>:
|
| | Hi,
| |
| | Allow up to three or more files to be uploaded at once w/ Gollem is a
| | nice idea but not all my users want this, so this patch add a
| | preferences
| | setting to enable/disable multiple files upload.
|
| Is there any reason given why they don't "want" 3 upload fields?  It
| would be nice to have every single UI element user configurable, but
| that would just be such an excessive overhead that it isn't feasible.

Michael,  Why would it be an excessive overhead?  What kind of overhead
are you referring to?  Memory? CPU? Database?  I'd really like to learn
why.

Secondly, please adjust your screen resolution down to 800x600 to see why
great features like this need to be in preferences.  I run at 1600x1200
myself, so it not of any concern, but at 800x600 every inch of screen
space becomes expensive real estate.

Most Casual Windows users I know drop their screen sizes down to 800x600.
Last I checked, Dells and Ibm's come out of the box configured that way
too.  So I think there is a lot of folks out there using 800x600 and well
the 3 fields at that resolution are really a PITA and certainly more of a
problem than any extra overhead added by putting an option in preferences
to turn it off.

| I don't see any compelling reason why this feature should be able to be
| turned on/off (if you don't like 3 upload fields, simply alter the code
| to not display 2).

And the moment I or someone does this our code now forks or diverges from
yours and the more its done, the more of a nightmare it is to maintain.
And this is the primary reason why these features are very much desired to
be added to CVS, and rightfully so, developers have to persuaded to add
something they do not see as useful to themselves but could be to others.

Cheers,

Ron

---