[dev] New IMP Summary Option

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Mon Dec 8 09:34:37 PST 2003

Quoting Rick Emery <rick at emery.homelinux.net>:

| I've been experimenting with the new option in the IMP summary (to only
| display
| folders with unseen messages), and have noticed an anomoly. I can't
| accurately
| reproduce the problem; it *appears* to be random (though I know better
| :-)
|
| When viewing my portal with no unseen messages, I correctly get the
| message "No
| folders with unseen messages". My portal page refreshes every 5 minutes,
| and
| when I get new messages, the IMP summary block refreshes with the folder
| name
| and new message count. Sometimes, if it refreshes again and has the same
| number
| of unseen messages in the same folder, I get the correct display (folder
| name
| with the number of unseen messages) but, below that, I get "No folders
| with
| unseen messages".
|
| I briefly looked at the code (which I admit I didn't completely
| understand) and
| was wondering if this could be because, on lines 90 and 91, it references
| the
| "recent" flag instead of the "unseen" flag. When I changed it on my
| server, the
| anomoly *appeared* to go away (but since I can't reliably reproduce it, I
| can't
| be sure).

This is the 'new' vs. 'unseen' problem that was discussed about a week back.
 What this code is looking for is any messages that are newly delivered to
the mailbox (NEW mail).  If NEW mail is found, the popup box is shown, if
the user has the preference set.  Mailboxes with UNREAD messages (messages
that are marked unseen but have not been newly delivered to the mailbox)
are boldfaced.

It appears the text of that status message should be changed from "No
folders with unseen messages" to "No folders with new messages." to be
correct with the checks we are doing.

michael