[dev] New IMP Summary Option

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Mon Dec 8 10:25:40 PST 2003

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> This is the 'new' vs. 'unseen' problem that was discussed about a week back.
>  What this code is looking for is any messages that are newly delivered to
> the mailbox (NEW mail).  If NEW mail is found, the popup box is shown, if
> the user has the preference set.  Mailboxes with UNREAD messages (messages
> that are marked unseen but have not been newly delivered to the mailbox)
> are boldfaced.
>
> It appears the text of that status message should be changed from "No
> folders with unseen messages" to "No folders with new messages." to be
> correct with the checks we are doing.
>
> michael

OK. I had trouble following that discussion, but I *think* I get it now. The
summary block shows in bold the names of folders with messages I haven't
viewed yet (hence "unseen"), but may or may not be newly delivered (since the
last refresh). The text "No folders with new (currently 'unseen') messages"
tells whether any messages have arrived since the last refresh.

If that's correct, then a display of bold folder names with a list of unseen
messages and the display of the text that there are no new (currently unseen)
messages are not mutually exclusive, and the current behavior is correct.

Thanks for clearing that up!
Rick

P.S. Not to stir up a hornets nest, but should the text about new messages be
tied in to the preference to display a pop-up for new messages? I'm thinking
that, if I elect not to be notified that there are new messages, I likewise
don't care to be notified if there *aren't* new messages. In which case, a
simple line advertising that there are no "unseen" messages might be necessary
(like kronolith, nag, and mnemo display if their blocks are empty). Just
thinking out loud :-)

--
Rick Emery

 you will always long to return"