[dev] Patch for imp/lib/Maillog.php (and a question)

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Tue Dec 9 16:22:02 PST 2003

Quoting Gary Windham <windhamg at email.arizona.edu>:

| That leads me to a question: are there any thoughts, advice, etc, on how
| manage the proliferation of data in the 'horde_categories' and
| 'horde_category_attributes' tables, caused by the history-logging
| mechanisms
| now present in modules such as IMP and Kronolith?  I can see these tables
| growing to many thousands (if not millions) of rows in fairly short
| order, given
| a large user base (we have ~50K users).

I was going to code in an (optional) preference that would garbage collect
_all_ entries after a certain period of time (i.e. 6 months, 1 year, etc.)
in IMP.  Thus, an admin could tell their users they would keep
reply/forward/bounce information for a year, at which point it would no
longer be available.

Don't know if this is what you were driving at.  Had the same concern as you
- that this info could pile up pretty quickly (it's why I coded the fairly
CPU/resource expensive "remove maillog entry when deleting" stuff into IMP
in the first place).  Then again, the information could be fairly valuable
(e.g. a year from now if something comes up and I want to know if I ever
did reply to that person, that info could sure come in handy) so it
definitely seems like something that will need to be tweaked on a per
installation basis.

michael