[dev] Release Engineering: Versions

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 12 13:49:59 PST 2003

Quoting Tim Gorter <email at teletechnics.com>:

> ER> Which is why I run Windows XP with Office 2000 with Encarta 99 and
> ER> IE 6.0?  Confusing?  Well, sometime MS uses the year, other times a
> ER> name, sometime a number.  Now that's confusing.  But there is no need
>
> True but the software mentioned above are independent programs that
> also totally run by themselves, where here we are talking about
> modules that are dependant on a framework.

In this case, the framework is Windows (or MacOS).  You can't run IE
really directly on any other OS.  Windows == Horde.  The rest == Horde apps.

> Uh, I'm sure MS Windows still has quite a few bugs by the updates that
> it gets often enough, even though it has been around for a very long

Yeah, I knew using MS as an example was a bad idea...

> time. And I think also that the separate parts of MS Office (word,
> excel..) are one of those that had their version numbers consolidated
> along the line sometime ago, to create that grouped package.

I don't think so actually.  I think the individual apps mostly have
divergent version numbers.  Like Word 95/98/2000/etc but IE 5.5/6.0/etc
and Outlook whatever and so on.  More than that, I think that there is
actually still a numeric version number in Word et al (if you check the
"about" info) despite it being sold as a year version name...  So they
actually have two version designations, IIRC.

> Do those questions stem from people of the days when IMP and Horde had
> to be similar in minor upgrades?

I don't know.  I think they are more from newer people who are just afraid
to upgrade anything until they check, and on the opposite end newer people
who expect any version should work with any other version.

> cheers,

Cheers.

--
Eric Rostetter