[dev] Release Engineering: Versions

Marcus I. Ryan marcus at horde.org
Fri Dec 12 14:02:31 PST 2003

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> I don't think so actually.  I think the individual apps mostly have
> divergent version numbers.  Like Word 95/98/2000/etc but IE 5.5/6.0/etc
> and Outlook whatever and so on.  More than that, I think that there is
> actually still a numeric version number in Word et al (if you check the
> "about" info) despite it being sold as a year version name...  So they
> actually have two version designations, IIRC.

I believe he was referring to MSOffice as a suite, and yes, they do all have a
single version (All OfficeXP Pro apps I have installed are 9.0).  I remember
when Word jumped from 2.0a to 6.0, though there was disagreement whether it
was to match version numbers with all the products in MSOffice or to match
WordPerfect 6.0 which had just released.

And I'm not completely against the idea of matching version number for all
apps to Horde, but one complication is that means Horde HEAD would have to be
released as 4.0 instead of 3.0 since we can't re-release IMP 3.0; that might
cause just as much confusion having the framework jump version numbers.

Unfortunately, most of the solutions I've thought of seem just as troublesome
(e.g. RELENG_H<horde version>_<product version>)

As a side note, HEAD is HEAD because that's the CVS default branch.  I would
argue against changing that name just for developer convenience.

Marcus I. Ryan, marcus at horde.org
 "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it
 flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come."
                 -- Matt Groening