[dev] Release Engineering: Versions

Jon Parise jon at horde.org
Fri Dec 12 14:10:35 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 10:40:37PM +0100, Tim Gorter wrote:

> >> The name is okay for me RELENG - RELease ENGineering - right? HEAD
> >> isn't RELENG, could be called something else like DEVelopment (like
> >> the list name..), but I like HEAD too.
>
> ER> But most people don't know what HEAD is.  I think we cause more problems
> ER> independent of the naming scheme.  For example, our snapshots are called
> ER> (IIRC) module-date.tar.gz and module-RELENG-date.tar.gz which causes
> ER> confusion.  They should be something more like module-HEAD-date.tar.gz
> ER> and module-RELENG-date.tar.gz or similar.
>
> That is why I did suggest DEV for DEVelopment, and I agree with you on
> the file naming.

Because those are CVS-based snapshots, I like the existing standard of
using the CVS branch name in the filename.  HEAD is the CVS standard,
so we should stick with it.

I suppose we could find a way to provide a DEV branch as an alias to
HEAD, though.

--
Jon Parise (jon at horde.org) :: The Horde Project (http://horde.org/)