[dev] Release Engineering: Versions

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Dec 12 15:27:57 PST 2003

Zitat von Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> > all modules in RELENG_2 should work with all other related RELENG_2
> > releases. Hey, and if a RELENG_3 module works with a RELENG_2 Horde,
> > lucky module!!
>
> So if we release a new module for Horde 4.x, then it must be called
> something 4.x.  Now the poor user using Horde 3.x will write in "where
> is version 1/2/3 of module something?  I can't find them anywhere!"
> Or they will say "for version 4 of something you think it would be more
> stable/mature/feature-rich!  It must have been around for a long time
> to have 4 versions out, so the bugs should be fixed by now!".

It looks like I have been misunderstood here. I don't want to jump on the
(IMO) silly train to skip a few version names only for marketing reasons.
Our next release should still be Horde 3.0, IMP 4.0, Turba 2.0 and Ingo 1.0.
I was only talking about the *branch* names.

> > I also often still think, ¿is it Horde 3 that works with IMP 2 or the
> > other way around? (I know IMP was there first so it has the higher
> > release number) but for simplicity and to stop answering the question
> > on the list all the time, why not make them the same release number.
>
> Because, while I'm not against that, I don't think it will decrease the
> number of questions we get.  Heck, we get minor version questions still
> "I'm running Horde 2.2.3 and IMP 3.1.  I want to upgrade to IMP 3.2.
> Do I need to upgrade Horde to 2.2.4 to do that?"

Yes, and my suggestion won't change this really. It's just easier for
development. We will still support the old (current) RELENG versions for a
while, together with the new RELENG modules and the second RELENG branches
of the modules that alread have RELENG branches, this might become
unmanagable.

> > The name is okay for me RELENG - RELease ENGineering - right? HEAD
> > isn't RELENG, could be called something else like DEVelopment (like
> > the list name..), but I like HEAD too.
>
> But most people don't know what HEAD is.  I think we cause more problems
> independent of the naming scheme.  For example, our snapshots are called
> (IIRC) module-date.tar.gz and module-RELENG-date.tar.gz which causes
> confusion.  They should be something more like module-HEAD-date.tar.gz
> and module-RELENG-date.tar.gz or similar.

As others already pointed out, HEAD is pretty much CVS standard, but
renaming the snapshots is a good idea IMO.

Jan.