[dev] lib/MIME/Headers.php : unneeded NLS conversion of mail header in listHeaders() ?

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Mon Dec 15 10:26:24 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 10:26:22AM -0700, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> As mentioned above, the Mailing List Headers are a special case.  We have a link
> specifically to show the Mailing List Headers by themselves (in addition to the
> "standard" headers).  Giving a user this link, translated in their own
> language, and then presenting them the Header names in English is
> counterintuitive.  In any case, these translated mailing list header names are
> being used more for UI purposes (i.e. "This link will show you Mailing list
> unsubscription information") than telling the user the name of the MIME header
> (i.e. "This is the 'List-Unsubscribe' header").

Ok, I see.  That make sense.

> I personally don't see any problem translating the name of any header we are
> able to in the "Show All Headers" mode - there is *no* indication or statement
> that we will be presenting the user the Headers in the original format.  We can
> do whatever we want, for purposes of UI formatting, in the message screen.  If
> you want to see the *exact* text of the MIME headers, that is what the "Show
> Message Source" link is for.

Well, I guess that's debatable for headers outside of List-*.  From my
POV, if I ask to see the headers associated with an email message, I
would prefer to see them unaltered as this is how it is the most useful
to me.  Imagine a support department ask a user to send them the
headers associated with a particulier message, the user chose "Show all
headers" and cut-and-paste the result.  It might not be what the support
tech was expecting.  Also, translating the headers name but not the
values of headers is worst than not translating at all.  Example :

Type de contenu: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

It may be worth noting that my version of IMP (HEAD from early november)
do not translate the headers name when I click "Show all headers".  In
my setup, it really write "Content-Type:"; the above is just an example.

> | IMHO, MIME::Headers::listHeaders() should return the untranslated name
> | of List-* headers.
>
> It does.
>
>   $array = MIME_Headers::listHeaders();
>   $untranslated_names = array_keys($array); ***
>   $translated_names = array_values($array);

Thanks, I see how to fix it then.  I'll send the (one-line) patch to the
Ingo list then.

Thank you very much !

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com