[dev] Weather/Metar Block

Rick Emery rick at emery.homelinux.net
Mon Jan 5 08:11:32 PST 2004

Quoting Alexander Wirtz <lists at pc4p.net>:

> Hi there,
>
> since Rick Emery told me about his effort on creating a block for horde,
> I'm monitoring the dev and jonah lists and I'd like to ask a few questions:
>
> First, the getParams method, wouldn't it be prudent to initialize the
> metar object there to have access to the DB handling functions that were
> introduced in Services_Weather 1.1.0? To be honest I wrote
> searchLocationByCountry with exactly this situation in mind.

I'll take a look at this and see if I (with my meager php skills) can do
something with it.

> Secondly, and more important, I'm a bit torn about this EJSE thingy. On
> one hand they offer a clear, defined WSDL, which would be childs-play to
> introduce to Services_Weather, on the other hand they only offer US
> locations, don't have a search function and somehow I get the
> impression, that they might go commercial with their service. I'd really
> like to get your opinion on this matter.

To be honest, I hadn't considered that it was useful only in the U.S. I'd like
to create a block based on Services_Weather's weatherdotcom driver to replace
the EJSE block. weather.com appears to require registration for the XML feed,
so I completed the form, but didn't get the email they were supposed to send.
Now that the holidays are over, I'll have to follow up on that. I'm going to
submit the EJSE block that I have; it at least gives something with graphics
and a forecast. It can always be removed when something else comes along :-)

--
Rick Emery

 you will always long to return"
                                              -- Leonardo Da Vinci