[dev] Weather/Metar Block

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Jan 5 11:03:27 PST 2004

Quoting Rick Emery <rick at emery.homelinux.net>:

> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>
> > I'd *really* prefer it if we could avoid having multiple Weather blocks
> > again.
> > It seems awfully confusing to me.
> >
> > -chuck
> >
> > --
> > Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
> > "I'm really... I'm not too fascinated by green food." - Average Joe
>
> I understand. I'm torn, though, on which way to go. Metars provide good
> current
> information and display the dew point and cloud accumulation at various
> altitudes (good for pilots; too specialized, maybe?). EJSE (and
> InterceptVector before it) provides an extended forecast, with high/low
> temperatures and pretty graphics for anticipated weather conditions. I have

I think that if they provide different content, we should provide both,
or make a combined version that does both.  If we have two that provide
the same info, then we *can* reduce to one.  The problem with only having
one is if that site goes down, you're down until you write a new one.
If you have multiple ones, and one goes down, you just switch to a new
(existing) one and you are back in business quickly.

> I was just about to submit the EJSE block to the list. Should I scrap it, or
> post it and see what the consensus of the core developers is?

I'd vote for posting it, as long as it works (doesn't have to be production
quality, but should work).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics