[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: imp compose.php imp/config prefs.php.dist imp/docs CHANGES imp/lib Compose.php

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Tue Jan 20 22:05:30 PST 2004

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:
>
>> slusarz     2004/01/19 12:31:44 PST
>>
>> Modified files:
>> .                    compose.php config               prefs.php.dist
>> docs                 CHANGES lib                  Compose.php Log:
>> RFC 2646 is a Good Thing.  So as such, we need to talk the talk in order to
>> walk the walk.  Thus, we can no longer support user defined quote strings -
>> we must use the '>' quote string as specified by the RFC.  So remove the
>> 'quote_prefix' preference.
>> This allows IMP to produce RFC compliant 'flowed' format messages when
>> replying to a message, which results in a much nicer display on the user's
>> end (especially if their MUA specifically supports flowed text viewing).
>
> That sounds really cool, but you explain what exactly it does? Is it what I
> think it is? :-)

Probably - that depends on what you think it is :)  In a sentence, flowed text
allows message text to be quoted and displayed on the user end without the
horrible chopping of lines effect that normally happens because of text
wrapping.  For a real life example, compare the message source of the messages
between Gary Windham and I in this forum ("problems with CVS HEAD IMP folder
navigator") and the output in IMP.

michael