[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: imp compose.php imp/config prefs.php.dist imp/docs CHANGES imp/lib Compose.php

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Jan 21 03:02:45 PST 2004

Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

>>> slusarz     2004/01/19 12:31:44 PST
>>>
>>> Modified files:
>>> .                    compose.php config
>>> prefs.php.dist docs                 CHANGES lib
>>> Compose.php Log:
>>> RFC 2646 is a Good Thing.  So as such, we need to talk the talk in order to
>>> walk the walk.  Thus, we can no longer support user defined quote strings -
>>> we must use the '>' quote string as specified by the RFC.  So remove the
>>> 'quote_prefix' preference.
>>> This allows IMP to produce RFC compliant 'flowed' format messages when
>>> replying to a message, which results in a much nicer display on the user's
>>> end (especially if their MUA specifically supports flowed text viewing).
>>
>> That sounds really cool, but you explain what exactly it does? Is it what I
>> think it is? :-)
>
> Probably - that depends on what you think it is :)  In a sentence,
> flowed text
> allows message text to be quoted and displayed on the user end without the
> horrible chopping of lines effect that normally happens because of text
> wrapping.  For a real life example, compare the message source of the
> messages
> between Gary Windham and I in this forum ("problems with CVS HEAD IMP folder
> navigator") and the output in IMP.

Cool, that was my hope! I didn't even know that an RFC existed for that
case.
I still see one minor glitch with the renderer: signature dashes (like
below) are two hyphens with a single space on a single line. This line
seems to be joined with the following line if the text format is flowed.
I don't think this is a problem with the sender because I see the same with
flowed mails from other clients.

Jan.

http://www.ammma.de - Neue Wege des Lernens