[dev] Problem with CVS HEAD IMP ru_RU.KOI8-R translation

Gary Windham windhamg at email.arizona.edu
Thu Jan 22 13:59:26 PST 2004

I'm running the latest CVS HEAD Horde/IMP/etc, updated just a few minutes ago.
I just recompiled all the PO files in the various Horde modules I'm using, and
was testing some of the different translations by setting my language under the
Horde options screen.

I ran across a really weird problem with one specific locale, ru_RU.KOI8-R, that
I cannot reproduce with any other.  When using this language, if I go into an
IMAP folder message list in IMP containing messages with flags set other than
"\Seen" (e.g., \Answered, \Deleted, etc), then the Apache process serving this
request goes into a loop and never returns.  Basically, any flag on a message
that causes IMP to render it differently (e.g., pink + italics for "Important",
gray + strikeout for "Deleted", etc) will trigger this condition when using the
ru_RU.KOI8-R language.  I've tried this with 3 different browsers (Konqueror,
IE, and Mozilla) on 2 different platforms, so I'm pretty certain this problem
is not browser-dependent.

All the other Horde modules I'm using (Turba, Kronolith, Ingo, Nag, Mnemo,
Moment), as well as non-message-list parts of IMP (e.g., composing, searching,
viewing messages) work fine with this locale.

Another thing I noticed with ru_RU.KOI8-R is that it does not force my browser's
character encoding to UTF-8, like nearly all the other languages do, but sets
it directly to KOI8-R.

My environment is as follows:

Redhat 7.3
Apache 1.3.27
PHP 4.3.4, built with gettext, iconv, and mbstring modules
Latest CVS HEAD Horde/IMP/et al

Any clues as to what might be causing this bizarre problem?

--
Gary Windham
Systems Programmer, Principal