[dev] Problem with CVS HEAD IMP ru_RU.KOI8-R translation

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Jan 22 16:13:00 PST 2004

Zitat von Gary Windham <windhamg at email.arizona.edu>:

> I'm running the latest CVS HEAD Horde/IMP/etc, updated just a few
> minutes ago.
> I just recompiled all the PO files in the various Horde modules I'm
> using, and
> was testing some of the different translations by setting my language
> under the
> Horde options screen.
>
> I ran across a really weird problem with one specific locale,
> ru_RU.KOI8-R, that
> I cannot reproduce with any other.  When using this language, if I go into an
> IMAP folder message list in IMP containing messages with flags set other than
> "\Seen" (e.g., \Answered, \Deleted, etc), then the Apache process
> serving this
> request goes into a loop and never returns.  Basically, any flag on a message
> that causes IMP to render it differently (e.g., pink + italics for
> "Important",
> gray + strikeout for "Deleted", etc) will trigger this condition when
> using the
> ru_RU.KOI8-R language.  I've tried this with 3 different browsers (Konqueror,
> IE, and Mozilla) on 2 different platforms, so I'm pretty certain this problem
> is not browser-dependent.
>
> All the other Horde modules I'm using (Turba, Kronolith, Ingo, Nag, Mnemo,
> Moment), as well as non-message-list parts of IMP (e.g., composing,
> searching,
> viewing messages) work fine with this locale.
>
> Another thing I noticed with ru_RU.KOI8-R is that it does not force
> my browser's
> character encoding to UTF-8, like nearly all the other languages do, but sets
> it directly to KOI8-R.

I was able to reproduce both really weird bugs. The first one is actually a
follow up bug of the second one. It seems like our new charset support
doesn't work very well with that combination.
The string functions used another charset than the strings actually had.
This lead to some infinite loops in the template parser.

I've removed the KOI8-R charset completely, it shouldn't be necessary now
anyway because UTF-8 should be used instead of the translation's native
charset.

Jan.

http://www.ammma.de - Neue Wege des Lernens