[dev] Kolab Webclient: Kolab:: library

Stuart Bingë s.binge at codefusion.co.za
Wed Jan 28 02:17:24 PST 2004

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 11:51, Jan Schneider wrote:
> Cool! A few things that I found on a first glance:
>
> - The charset conversions you do with iconv should instead be done with
> String::convertCharset and MIME::(en|de)code

Ah, the endless wonders of the framework module = )
One question - when converting a string that is in the current users character
set to UTF-8 using String::convertCharset(), what would one use as the
'$from' parameter? Would it be $GLOBALS['_HORDE_STRING_CHARSET']?

Is String::convertCharset() even the right function to do this - is there
perhaps another function that knows about the current users character set and
is able to convert to another one?

> - To not depend on a another PEAR package I'd like to see the
> Net_HTTP_Client usage being replaced by the HTTP_Request package for GETs
> and WebDAV_Client for PUTs as we depend on those two packages already.

Sure thing, the Net_HTTP_Client was just the first library we found that
provided the functionality we needed. This is not a problem to change.

> make it even more reusable we should add a client implementation to our
> RPC_webdav class.

Well I think I'll leave this until another developer picks it up, or until
I've finished submitting all the Kolab modifications. Unfortunately time is
not on my side when it comes to picking up new projects.

> - Some of the imap code could probably be condensed with some IMP or
> framework/IMAP stuff, but Michael probably knows better.

The IMAP code was written when we first started working on the webclient, and
back then we didn't really know where to look in Horde to see if the
functionality we needed existed elsewhere. It would make sense that a lot of
it is redundant.

> RT packaging: this file definitely belongs into framework/Kolab, the
> dependencies are not a problem.

I trust that you know best when it comes to these things. Thanks Jan!

Cheers,

--
Stuart Bingë
Code Fusion cc. <http://www.codefusion.co.za/>