[dev] Hermes patches

Tarjei Huse tarjei+a_lists.phpgw at nu.no
Sat Feb 7 03:45:46 PST 2004

Hi Jason, Jan, everynone else.
Quoting "Jason M. Felice" <jfelice at cronosys.com>:

> > I'm not adverse to that idea. However, I will need some hints on how to
> > do this, so if someone would be so kind as to read the code and come
> > with a few comments, I'll do my best.
> First, it will have to go into framework/Data/Data, the data.php screen
> will have to be adjusted for that.
Ok, Hermes should probably be fixed to allow for all kinds of datatypes that
the datadrivers support.

> It will have to be modified so that it isn't hermes-specific (it
> shouldn't mention hermes' field names).
I got the following questions:
- how should a data-class set fieldnames?
- What are the minimum requirements for a DataClass?
Implementing ->exportData() and exportFile() is easy enough, but the
Excel_Writer class can only read and write Excel 5 .xls files so I'm not sure
if we should use it for import as it might actually confuse users more than
help them.

Hmm, at the same time, it could be usefull for example for importing outlook
contacts.

- Excel uses some Microsoft charset. How do I convert different values to the
correct charset? Are there some functions in the horde framework for this?

-(OT) Does anyone know of a simple program for finding out what charset your
terminal/filesystem etc uses? I've had my share of charset problems lately and
it would be helpfull if someone knew a simple command for this (locale only
reports the locale not the charset).

Cheers - and thanks for helping!

Tarjei