[dev] Smarty & Horde

steve mailling at gmx.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 03:40:25 PST 2004

Here is a list of main changes:
- for the PEAR module, I added a constant to specify where the PEAR module
is installed; I can't use the ini_set with the ISP: Lycos; there are also 2
methods more for the Date package. That is why I had to provide big files
to download (Pear, framework, ...)
- for Horde, I rewrote the html method (from the Turba, Kronolith, ...
objects). From now, what has to be shown on the screen follows the Smarty
rules and is in a separate directory (/templates) For the rest, the
backends, ... are the same. That means on a same computer, you can access
the data from what I did or from the Horde portal.
- for the speed, it looks as fast as Horde (at least on my computer, and on
the month view), but I don't have any benchmark to propose you.

 From Kronolith, I (re)implemented:
- month view
- day view (the time slot, - 30 minutes by default-, can be easy changed)
- add/remove/view event

 From Turba, there are:
- view from a source
- add a contact to a group

I did this because I wanted to use the Kronolith backend, but I didn't like
the design of the web site (it looked difficult to integrate in something
really different). The design (I borrowed it from an open source design web
site) is really modular (maybe too much) with a full use of CSS & xhtml.
Smarty brings the possibility to use cache and to improve the speed to
another scale (not use at this time).

Unfortunately, there is one (at least) big downgrade, it is difficult to do
a multi lingual web site. It is not as easy as _("").

A long time ago (6 months or more), there was a talk here, to say if we
could use Smarty, or Horde_Template on every pages; and a guy worked on
login.php I think. Also, some people were afraid by the speed. Now we have
a proof the Smarty are Horde can be integrated (that means everybody (and
ISP) can offer Horde with a complete different web site. Besides, I am not
sure that it is the goal of Horde developers to work also on a specific
template engine (since there is already a good one in the market; a good
article about it can be found here: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1218/).

The question is more now: What is the Horde team thinks about using Smarty?