[dev] Smarty & Horde

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Mar 8 11:09:55 PST 2004

Quoting steve <mailling at gmx.co.uk>:

> Unfortunately, there is one (at least) big downgrade, it is difficult to do
> a multi lingual web site. It is not as easy as _("").

That's a big downside, especially since this is one of our strengths as a
project.

> A long time ago (6 months or more), there was a talk here, to say if we
> could use Smarty, or Horde_Template on every pages; and a guy worked on
> login.php I think. Also, some people were afraid by the speed. Now we have
> a proof the Smarty are Horde can be integrated (that means everybody (and
> ISP) can offer Horde with a complete different web site. Besides, I am not
> sure that it is the goal of Horde developers to work also on a specific
> template engine (since there is already a good one in the market; a good
> article about it can be found here: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1218/).

Are you actually intending that article to provide an article *for* Smarty?

> The question is more now: What is the Horde team thinks about using Smarty?

First of all, we're not going to adopt these changes into Horde 3.0. We're
really close to a major release now, and we simply can't put off the release
for major changes at this point.

Second, I have doubts about incorporating anything as large as Smarty into
Horde. I'm not sure we need it - see the article you linked to, for one thing.

However, after Horde 3.0 is out, one of the biggest remaining deficiencies in
Horde is going to be UI customization/flexibility, so we're going to want to
come up with a plan for addressing such. Things like this will be on
the table,
then, though right now, I'd lean towards combining the ideas in that article,
our current templates, and Horde_Template for things like Giapeto that need
some level of security from remote users.

-chuck