[dev] Re: A competitor

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Mar 15 19:32:47 PST 2004

Quoting Roger Keays <r.keays at ninthave.net>:

> Is the Horde development team aware of the Xaraya project
> (http://www.xaraya.com)?

Somewhat, yes...

> They have some excellent ideas about :
>   * user management
>   * privileges         (http://docs.xaraya.com/docs/rfcs/rfc0030.html)

This is much more thoroughly documented and laid out, but I'm not sure if
there's anything there that our Perms/Groups systems don't cover.

>   * templating/theming (http://docs.xaraya.com/docs/rfcs/rfc0010.html)

This is definitely Horde's weakest point. We can *start* to approach
this stuff
with Horde_Template and Giapeto, but not really. Work along this line is where
I see one of the main goals of post-Horde 3.0 development.

>   * module hooks       (http://docs.xaraya.com/docs/rfcs/rfc0042.html)

I think our Registry system covers this just fine.

>   * data management    (http://www.xaraya.com/index.php/docs/151)

This would be pretty easy to build on top of DataTree. Nifty ideas. :)

-chuck