[dev] Permissions - possible changes

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Mar 17 07:21:20 PST 2004

Quoting "Jason M. Felice" <jfelice at cronosys.com>:

> In a nut shell, I think the ideal solution is to have basically those
> four, and the system handles those, but additional ones can be
> specified by particular objects.  Things come up like "what if we
> don't want to give this user access to the "Mutilate" button?"

I'm not sure that's the best example, but you *can* extend the current system
with new permissions, like Giapeto does.

> I prefer the flexibility, and this is from experience.  On the other
> hand, I may not be the typcial user.  Do we have any idea what the
> typical user might
> expect?

I had a conversation with Jan on IRC that clarified this for me; the
answer here
isn't to remove flexibility in the code, but potentially to put a
simpler UI on
it in places (the user just sees levels of permissions, but we go and assign
the right combinations in the backend, etc).

-chuck