[dev] Best place to store items?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed May 12 02:51:10 PDT 2004

Zitat von Joaquim Homrighausen <joho at webbplatsen.se>:

> Having looked at the Horde datatree, and how some of the other Horde
> applications do it (current HEAD), I'm still at a loss as to where one should
> store certain types of data within the Horde framework.
>
> Scenario:
>
> The application Bottleneck needs to store some "types" and some "attributes".
> The types are bottle types and the attributes are the various attributes each
> of these bottles can have.
>
> This data is "application data" and needs to have permissions so that only
> authorized people can edit bottle types and attributes.
>
> I need the "application data" to be shared, so that all users maintaining the
> bottle inventory can use the types and related attributes when they
> add, edit,
> and remove bottles from the inventory; which may or may not be shared, etc.
>
> Silly questions? Perhaps, but I haven't been able to find an answer..

First of all, permissions are independent from the data, no matter where you
store it. Permissions are tied to "names" or ids, how you associate them is
up to you.

If you want rapid development, you could use the DataTree api to store your
bottles and the DataTree attributes for the bottle attributes. But as
DataTree's main purpose is to manage hierarchical data, it would add a lot
of unneeded overhead. The better solution would be to store your data in
separate tables for your application.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/