[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: horde/config html.php.dist registry.php.dist imp/lib/Block tree_folders.php horde/services/portal menu.php

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Aug 3 08:45:53 PDT 2004

> The appeal of Blocks is that these are kind of "plugins" for Horde that can
> easily be provided by third parties. I still have some kind of contribution
> site in mind where people can submit their Blocks and themes.

Yeah, I agree. It's a great plugin architecture. The menu stuff doesn't quite
fit the existing API, though, which is why I hesitated.

> We should distinguish menu blocks from portal blocks though, be it with a
> simple property.

I have two ideas currently for this:

1. Set a $block_type variable along with $block_name.
2. Use subdirectories in lib/Block/ to distinguish blocks by type.

I think we could probably come up with a few different kinds of blocks at this
point; not all of the existing ones are useful as portal blocks, for instance.
And it'd be nice to be able to put together lots of other generic blocks for
exporting application functionality to Giapeto, etc.

Thoughts?

-chuck