[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: kronolith/lib Driver.php

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Aug 10 14:59:28 PDT 2004

Quoting Francois Marier <francois at nit.ca>:

> The only thing that this change removes is the ability to set a
> recurrence on:
>
>     1) the 31st of the months that have 31 days
>     2) the 30th of each month except February

See my leap year example as well.

> Now regarding what the recurrence means, it could go both ways.  Sure
> it says "on the same day" so technically the 30th is not the same day
> as the 31st.  On the other hand, it also says "recurs every 1 month"
> meaning that it should appear every month. I believe most users are
> not that precise when they think about it and they expect a monthly
> recurrence to recur each month, regardless of the day they set it on.

This definitely goes against my expectations of the recurrence, personally.

> If you look at Outlook, (not that they necessarily are a reference,
> but most people at work are used to their products already), they have
> two recurrences: monthly like in Horde, and monthly on the first/last
> day of the month.  Despite the second recurrence type, if you use the
> first type and set a recurrence on the 31st day, it warns you that it
> will occur on the 30th of months that don't have 31 days.

How about adding the second type, and then warning on other cases that it
*won't* recur on months that don't have 31 days? Or something like that.

I could probably be convinced, slowly, on this, but it goes against my
grain, as
you can probably see. ;)

-chuck