[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: horde/templates/javascript tree.js

Ben Chavet ben at chavet.net
Thu Sep 16 07:58:56 PDT 2004

> Quoting Marc Jauvin <marc at r4l.com>:
>
>> No. You need "cursor:default" in order for the visual not to mimmic
>> a URL. By
>> using "default" as the cursor type, there are the following advantages:
>>
>> - cannot be confused with a LINK/URL
>> - does not confuse people like the "arrow" type we tried
>>
>> Basically, it allows the label to be clickable, but does not necessarily
>> advertise it.
>
> Okay, but we're not trying to *hide* this. Just make it clear. I'm definitely
> not in favor of using the default pointer so you have *no* indication
> of what's
> going to happen.

I personally think the default arrow (not the hand) feels right, but I
see what
you mean by not wanting to hide the functionallity.

I propose we make this a preference.  Default to no clickability (just use the
+/- icons), but add a "power-user" option to make it clickable (maybe even an
option as to what type of cursor, but that might be too much).  That way it is
less confusing to the average person out of the box, but the functionallity is
still available.

--Ben