[dev] Gollam selectList call

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Wed Oct 6 17:04:33 PDT 2004

Quoting Duck <duck at obala.net>:

> On Wednesday 06 of October 2004 04:34, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>> Quoting Duck <duck at obala.net>:
>> > I miss the parameter to select/force the backend to be used for
>> > selection.
>>
>> This most definitely *can't* be implemented like this because the calling
>> function should not (and, indeed, does not) have any knowledge of the
>> backends used by Gollem.  This is all self contained within Gollem, and
>> other applications should not be making this decision.  We could definitely
>> implement
>> something in the file selection dialog that will allow the user to
>> select which
>> backend to use - however, I would rather get the basic functionality
>> working before I start worrying about this.
>
> Yes. I understand that we the function itself don't know about the backend
> available. But probably (for future) an optional parameter "backend_key" with
> the ID of the backend would be usefull, because is quiet often that an
> specific VFS backend for a specific app is sused.

Thinking about this a bit more, I guess that we do (sort of) allow for this
behavior elsewhere (i.e. IMP and the search_sources, search_fields, and
add_source preferences).  But I still think this behavior - selecting between
different backends - should be controlled entirely within Gollem.
Patches will
be considered, but I'm not going to code it this way (with a $backend_key
parameter).

michael