[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: imp folders.php imp/lib VFolder.php imp/templates/folders vfolder_actions.inc vfolder_foot.inc vfolder_head.inc vfolders.html

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Oct 29 08:32:37 PDT 2004

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at mail.curecanti.org>:

> I am still torn between putting these virtual folders separately (as I have
> done) and putting them in the folder tree.  Obviously, the advantage
> of having
> it in the folder tree view is that the virtual folder looks just like
> aregular
> folder. Additionally, there is some duplication of code needed to
> generate the
> second table, etc. so keeping it in a single view would help there also.
>
> However, the issue is that these virtual folders are obviously not a regular
> mail folder and will never ever have the same exact feature set as a real
> folder.  For example, you will never be able to copy or move messages to a
> virtual folder.  We can never import a mailbox into a virtual folder.
> Deleting
> a virtual folder should definitely not be treated the same as
> deleting a regular folder (i.e. all messages that appear in the
> current view should not be deleted when a virtual folder is deleted -
> instead, the virtual folder view itself should be deleted only).
> Putting them in the folder tree gives the false impression that
> somehow these virtual folders "reside" on the mail server - when
> someone accesses the mail server via a different MUA, they may be
> confused as to why the virtual folder doesn't appear there.
>
> In short, adding the virtual folders to the folders screen would seem
> to cause
> more confusion than benefit.  However, I personally am still open to
> persuasion.

I think treating them too differently would cause confusion as well; people
would wonder why they had to look in two places, etc. I think they
should be in
the main view, perhaps under a unique parent - ie, list all virtual folders
unter a top-level "Virtual Folders" mailbox (well, container) that is inserted
into the folder tree. That way virtual folders are in the same
table/view/etc.,
but are also clearly grouped together as a unique sort of thing.

-chuck

Quincy Adams