[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: horde/themes print.css

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Jan 12 02:28:21 PST 2005

>> But our print views contain also logic, not only style. And putting all page
>> items that are not shown in print views into a div or span, just to make
>> them display:none doesn't make much sense to me.
>
> Most of the logic is whether or not to show things. And part of the point is
> that you could get rid of the need for seperate print views - the same view,
> when you hit print, comes out looking nice.
>
> And there's no need to put everything into a div or a span to do this -
> just the
> normal level of making the layout changeable by CSS will do.

But how well is @media print supported in browsers? And consequences does
this change have?

It would probably mean that the print icon will go away, because it wouldn't
do anything but opening the same view in a new window and potentially
triggering the print dialog. That means that the user needs to click the
browser's print icon, leading to confusion. If he wants to print only one
frame (the common scenario) it leads to even more confusion, how many end
users know how to properly print frames?

Plus, using a generated print view shows the user how this page will look
like being printed out. How many end users know of (browser builtin) print
previews or use them before printing? In the end they would get something
printed out that looks different from what they saw on the screen when they
hit "Print". Confusion.

While using different media types for CSS has its merits, especially for
static pages, I don't think it can outperform server generated print views,
especially if the pages are server generated anyway.

But maybe I simply got you wrong... :)

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/