[dev] Re: developing commercial horde applications

Jason M. Felice jfelice at cronosys.com
Fri Mar 4 06:24:16 PST 2005

Markos Giannopoulos wrote:

> well i'm contraqcted in developing a simple crm application for a
>
>client and i'm
>exploring the possibility of using horde
>
>my two basic questions (and my presumed answers if i my understanding
>of LGPL is
>adequate) are
>
>1) can i create a commercial application using the horde framework?
>presumed answer: yes with some appropriate note on the documentation(?)
>

>2) can i base my crm on turba?
>presumed answer: no, unless the code is availiable as lgpl (?)
>
>thank you in advance for your help
>Markos

Hi Markos-

We (at Cronosys) have contracted to develop applications on Horde.  We
do abide by the GPL and  other licensing terms, but that does not
necessarily mean we give the code to the public (although we do as often
as we can).

You seem concerned that the GPL and LGPL licenses might require you to
release the client's code to the public, is that right?

First, I'd like to reassure you that no license in Horde /requires/ you
to release your code to the public; the licenses require you to provide
the code to whomever you give or sell the application (in other words,
the client).

Second, I'm wondering why you're concerned about this.  CRM isn't the
kind of thing that might have business logic or other trade secrets, so
why not release the code to the public?  We've had a couple discussions,
and I'd enjoy seeing Horde support CRM.  We could use it here.

Thanks,

--
 Jason M. Felice
 Cronosys, LLC <http://www.cronosys.com/>