[dev] Kronolith category/color patch, per user

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Apr 26 08:57:48 PDT 2005

Quoting Kevin Myer <kevin_myer at iu13.org>:

> My experience is that showing the user's own colors is what they expect, for
> _their_ events.  For other users, they would expect to see _something_ to
> indicate that its not their event.  And since each category has a color,
> category == color, and I'd expect to look at a color and determine what the
> category is, from a calendar shared between multiple users.

What we seem to disagree on is whether a category is unique to a user.
I say it isn't - my Vacation events are in the same category as your
Vacation events, they're both of the "category" Vacation. That's what
"in the same category" means to me. You seem to be saying that they
aren't; they're in two different categories that could as well be
called "Chuck's Vacation" and "Kevin's Vacation".

My wife and I have a shared calendar setup where we have a shared
calendar and each of us has a personal calendar. We both create events
on the shared calendar, so we both "own" them. When I'm looking at the
calendar, I want any events that are marked "Sweetie Time" (to use a
slightly personal example) to look the same, no matter which one of us
created them. And I don't want to have to synchronize our color
preferences to do so - we have different tastes.

So I don't see budging on this part - changing it really changes the
meaning of "Category" to me, and I don't want to do that.

However, I agree that it'd be good to have some way of showing events
you own vs. others events, and to show the owner of an event. I've
added code to HEAD that provides different CSS classes ".mine" and
".notmine" to events so you can style them differently; the default is
a thicker border on events that are ".mine". I'm sure the actual visual
could use some tweaking, but that's just a matter of playing with the
CSS. I've also added the owner of the event to the event's tooltip.

Perhaps that will address some of what you're getting at. And some of
what you're describing is what the side-by-side view is for. Yes, it
takes a lot of screen real estate, but cluttering the basic view with
all of this information does too.

> (which is one of the reasons in my patch that the legend only displays the
> categories for events that are display - if each user has 100 categories, but
> only one event that shows up on your calendar, the legend will only
> display one category/color for that event).

This is already the case...

-chuck

Quincy Adams