[dev] Kronolith category/color patch, per user

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Wed Apr 27 05:52:10 PDT 2005

> What we seem to disagree on is whether a category is unique to a user.
> I say it isn't - my Vacation events are in the same category as your
> Vacation events, they're both of the "category" Vacation. That's what
> "in the same category" means to me. You seem to be saying that they
> aren't; they're in two different categories that could as well be
> called "Chuck's Vacation" and "Kevin's Vacation".

Yes, I think thats the crux of the issue.  I say that categories can be unique
to a user.  They can also be "global" in the sense that if a group of people
collectively agrees that they will use the same categories (i.e. a husband and
wife, or a workgroup), then it makes sense to assume that your categories and
colors can be used to display others' events.  But I'll maintain that its bad
to assume that because my category may actually _NOT_ be the same category as
your, even if its called the same thing.  And, even if it is, I may still want
to visually be able to tell that an event is not only not mine, but what
category of yours it is.

So, would you be open to having this be a horde-wide preference?  Something
along the lines of:

// categories unique
$_prefs['categories_unique'] = array(
    'value' => 0,
    'locked' => false,
    'shared' => true,
    'type' => 'checkbox',
    'desc' => _("Should your categories be treated as unique to the individual,
or considered global?")
);

If false, use the current Kronolith behavior for categories.  If true, use my
logic to display categories and colors.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer