[dev] Thinking about IMP and Kronolith interoperability

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu May 5 07:30:19 PDT 2005

Zitat von Kevin Myer <kevin_myer at iu13.org>:

> 1)  Inline display of iTip attachments in IMP, by default.  If you
> don't display
> attachments inline, this would eliminate the need to open a window to
> deal with
> an event invitation (a window which, by the way, has no close button and just
> kind of hangs out).  Instead, the invitation would appear inline.  If
> it makes
> sense to render HTML inline, then it makes as much sense to invoke the iTip
> MIME Viewer inline too.

We only show HTML inline if the HTML part of a message has a content
disposition of "inline". The same is true for iTip attachments. Other
mail clients work the same way, and show invitations as attachments.

> 2)  Combining the Add Event and Respond actions into one combined
> action (which
> would be the default, but leaving them as separate options as well,
> in case you
> only wanted to do one or the other but not both).  Since you will usually be
> doing both of those actions if you are attending an event, it would
> make sense
> to eliminate multiple clicks and needing to do menu selections by combining
> these two.

Agreed.

> 3)  Enable a "text" version of the iTip attachment email that Kronolith
> generates.  This would be similar to the plain text portion of an HTML email.
> If the mail client the recipient is using can't handle iTip, at least they
> could glean some useful information from the text portion, like meeting name,
> date, time, location, description, etc.

Did you try the latest Kronolith version from CVS HEAD? It does already
show more information on invitations and even provides a link that
recipients can click to accept or deny the invitation.

> 4)  Add ability to decline invitations, with a text input field for giving a
> reason for declining.  I remember throwing out this idea on one of the lists
> awhile ago, and Jan said he wasn't sure if there was anything in the
> spec that
> allowed that to happen, within the vCal format.  If there was nothing that
> could be taken advantage of, I'd envision this going into the body of
> a message
> that contains the iTip attachment.

OK.

> Is it a bad idea to use a hybrid iTip attachment/message body approach to
> communicate meeting information, both for invitations, and for responses?

I don't think so, as not all email clients can handle iTip attachments,
and making scheduling as easy as possible for all clients is a good
idea IMO.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/