[dev] User interface options question

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Sun May 22 19:02:32 PDT 2005

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at mail.curecanti.org>:

> What if user selects no sidebar and doesn't want a link to ingo in the
> menubar?  Then there is no way to access the filters (and I personally
> don't think an answer of "Then the admin has to enable the filters link
> on the menubar" is a valid response).  Additionally, what about all the
> users (and i've seen this) that go to the filters preference to change
> their filter rules because that is where they changed their filter
> rules in IMP 3.x?

So you're saying that if you install a tier 1 module (IMP) and you purposely
hide the sidebar and refuse to put a link in IMP's application menu, that
accesing another tier 1 module (Ingo) through the options menu provides for a
more consistent user interface and is more reasonable than having an admin add
it to menu.php?  You can't have your filter (er, message rule) and eat it too
;)

I was actually referring to a situation where you'd administratively lock the
preference to not display the sidebar.  If a user chooses not to display the
sidebar, thats another story, and then how do they get to other modules you
have installed?  Make options for them too?  I see the sidebar as being the
central navigation tool between modules and was only suggesting it may be
hidden if someone wanted a IMP-only installation, for example (as a site I am
upgrading from Horde 2 -> 3 soon may want, to ease the change process
for users
and introduce new features as they are needed).

As far as IMP 3.X users?  Well, things do move around when new versions of
software are released.  What about our sites who are accustomed to a floating
application frame from Horde 2.X?  Its been replaced by a sidebar.  They'll
adapt.  See when I click on an option in the Options screen, I expect
to get an
option, not another module.

Just striving for a consistent interface - users get confused when there are
exceptions.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer