[dev] What is the best way to separate virtual domains with horde?

Edwin L. Culp eculp at encontacto.net
Mon May 30 04:24:52 PDT 2005

I would like to be able to keep interaction between virtual domains
minimal.  I have changed my ldap base tree structure from ou=people,
o=basedomain.org to ou=organizationDomain.tld,o=basedomain.org and have
reduced issues with seeing users from all domains when setting
permissions, for example, but with permissions set to all authenticated
users apps such as whups, ansel, kronolith are still, more or less
shared.  I try to set everything up by using a domain name that is
unique by definition and their email user at organization.org, also unique
and can/should be used for internal private and shared secure
communication as well as public.  The end result that I am looking for
could possibly be just another permission setting like "All users from
[ Domain list dropdown ].  I don't understand the permissions in Horde
so I don't know if that would be practical or even work.

I'm sure others have seen this and solved it in their own way.  I could
very well be drowning in a glass of water ;-)  I'd be very interested
in knowing what your ideas are or what you have done to keep virtual
domains independent.

I have considered:

  1. Multiple horde installations w/multiple mysql databases.
     Each with a different vfs path, probably.
  2. Single horde installation w/multiple mysql databases
     Each with a different vfs path configured dynamically
     using $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']
  3. Modification of the permissions system (No idea about this.)

Thanks,

ed