[dev] Fwd: Re: Google's Summer of Code - Interested in Search and CRM projects.

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Jun 6 01:04:06 PDT 2005

> Please keep the conversation on the list - this is how we do planning
> of features for Horde, with community discussion.
>
>> ----- Forwarded message from ciro.duran at gmail.com -----
>
>> I've read a couple of CRM sites (http://www.project-open.org/ and
>> http://www.sugarcrm.com/home/), and I'm getting a better idea of the
>> size of the project. I hope you have a better image of what you want
>> Horde to be, because I'm still a bit dizzy from all the reading, and
>> all the features a CRM software has; comparing it to Horde. Maybe we
>> should work out a more definite deliverable spec?, I'm right now
>> thinking of a new module, which would allow me to work separately from
>> the other ones, and would effectively put the functionality of them in
>> one place. I'd like to know more about this, because as I see the
>> project right now, it's still a bit blurry :-P.
>
> I think a new module is a fine idea, as long as it's not actually
> re-implementing features we already have. But a unified interface that
> glues together Turba/Kronolith/etc., accessing their data through API
> methods but providing a central ui/skin for it, would be great.

I don't agree completely. While I don't have anything against a central
module glueing the CRM related apps together, there is still a lot of
potential in integrating the applications in their own UI better. I
think this is even more important, and I currently fail to see what a
dedicated CRM module can do that a well arranged Horde Portal can't do.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/