[dev] Fwd: Re: Google's Summer of Code - Interested in Search and CRM projects.

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Jun 6 12:55:38 PDT 2005

Quoting Marko Djukic <mdjukic at horde.org>:

> what about separating out the portal functionality, make that separate
> module(s)? my biggest issue with the portal is that in a lot of
> installs i have had to manually disable when it doesn't make sense to
> have it. eg. apps are doing specific functions and users have no use
> for a portal type view.
>
> so it would be good to be able to choose to have no portal, a slim
> portal just
> to hop on to other apps or a really beefed up portal where you could do a lot
> of the work on the one page. eg. i tend to open up tabs for at least three
> apps, imp, kronolith and nag. if i could work from one page without having to
> jump from tab to tab, that would be nice.

I've been thinking about something like this ... a "page builder" that
users can specify (or code, depending on user level/settings) a
template for, that they then populate with blocks. Let people create as
many of these as they want, like some web portals let people build
multiple "tabs".

One could be a homepage for Whups, one could be a CRM tab, etc... we
could have pre-built collections as well as the general builder UI.

-chuck

Quincy Adams