[dev] Work Order Request Application

Jason M. Felice jfelice at cronosys.com
Mon Jun 20 05:38:20 PDT 2005

> Zitat von Kevin Myer <kevin_myer at iu13.org>:
>
>> Is not what you're describing not a new module, but really adding workflow
>> capabilities to Horde?  You could add them for a specific module but
>> might it
>> not be better to take a step back, create a general workflow framework
>> and then
>> integrate that with Hermes and Whups?
>
> I don't think so. While it is intriguing to put everything that uses
> more than one Horde application into the framework, the risk is to
> overload Horde itself. This is a very specialized problem to be in a
> web application framework, so its solution rather belongs into a
> separate app.
>
> Jan.

Kevin,

I can't think of anything we want to do which would not be usefully
handled by a generic workflow application (with api calls to ulaform,
whups, and however "sending an e-mail" would be handled--either imp, or
part of workflow itself).

Since you bring this up, I'm now conflicted about which way I'd like to
do this.   On the one hand, the workflow application is definitely more
work; on the other, it is more functional and we can definitely use it
for more of our business processes.  (As well as use it as a hook for
getting new consulting gigs.)

What I think I'm going to do is estimate what it will take to build the
minimal workflow required to support work orders.  This won't have any
UI for editing flows, so it won't be useful to the average user just
yet.  Then I'll present both and see what happens.

--
Jason M. Felice
Cronosys, LLC <http://www.cronosys.com>