[dev] Work Order Request Application

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Mon Jun 20 06:20:33 PDT 2005

Quoting "Jason M. Felice" <jfelice at cronosys.com>:

> Since you bring this up, I'm now conflicted about which way I'd like to
> do this.   On the one hand, the workflow application is definitely more
> work; on the other, it is more functional and we can definitely use it
> for more of our business processes.  (As well as use it as a hook for
> getting new consulting gigs.)

That pretty much sums up what I was thinking.  If Jan thinks its overload to
include it in the base Horde functionality, then implementing a generic
workflow method in another module is the way to go.  And he's probably right -
if you just want to run IMP, you probably don't need to drag around all those
extras in your codebase.  If you are running a more complicated install, then
have workflow be controlled by a separate module, and have its methods
available for all modules to use.  Users could use the module to setup their
own flows, for areas they have permissions for, and delegate flows to other
people, for when they are out of the office, for instance.

What I would be concerned about would be implementing a rudimentary workflow
approach for a specific application, then realizing after the fact that it
should be more general, and having to either bolt on additions to make it
useable elsewhere, or start from scratch.  It is more work up front but its
worth it long-term, in my opinion.

Kevin
--
Kevin M. Myer